Old Compton Street

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Old Compton Street' page
Photo:Black and white photograph of Old Compton Street at the south west corner of Dean Street, including the tower of the church of St Anne, Soho (bomb incident number 1522), 11 May 1941

Black and white photograph of Old Compton Street at the south west corner of Dean Street, including the tower of the church of St Anne, Soho (bomb incident number 1522), 11 May 1941

By Tim Devitt
 

Old Compton Street has always been one of the busiest shopping streets in Soho . Dating back to the late 17th century the street takes its name from Henry Compton, Bishop of London. The area has always attracted a large number of foreign immigrants, initially French and subsequently Italians, Germans, Greeks, Swiss, and Jews from Eastern Europe . The street became famous for foreign provision shops, cafes and restaurants. However, one of the most famous restaurants was English, Wheeler’s, at number 19. The character of the street has evolved in recent years as it has become the active hub of London ’s lesbian and gay community

 

This page was added by Tim Devitt on 25/03/2010.

Add a comment about this page